Update 2/22/21: USAA has sent out letters surrounding this error.
Update: Seems like this issue has now been fixed.
Today a number of people have reported issues with their USAA credit cards being reported as ‘closed by the creditor’ by credit monitoring software. When USAA is contacted they state the card hasn’t actually been closed and they are receiving high call volume due to this issue but are unaware of exactly what is going on. We’ve reached out to USAA for comment.
Hat tip to reader musclera via DocBasher (USAA subreddit)
A few days ago we reported that some BBVA select cardholders were being hit with fraudulent transactions. Unfortunately it seems that the problem is more widespread than this as a lot of readers are reporting similar fraudulent transactions on other cards, I suspect there has been a large data breach somewhere. I’d recommend checking your own accounts, unauthorized transactions made may include (keep in mind fraudsters often make purchases at legitimate merchants to test whether card information is correct):
- Angela Singleton
To make matters worse some cardholders have reported their card as stolen, requested a new card and before the new card has even arrived new fraudulent charges have started to appear.
Update 2/23/20: Extended until 03/31/2021.
Direct link to offer
- American Express is offering cardholders a free two month trial to obé fitness monthly membership. You can also gift a one month membership to a friend.
The Fine Print
- As a US American Express Card Member, you are eligible to redeem a 2-month free trial to obé fitness monthly membership.
- This offer is eligible to all US American Express Card Members and for a limited-time only, ending 8/16/2020.
- Trials are only available to new obé fitness subscribers and only for the monthly membership.
- You will be charged the full monthly amount of $27 after your first 2-months and charges will continue monthly unless cancelled.
- Please cancel your membership by signing in at www.obefitness.com and navigating to your subscription settings.
- You can cancel anytime during the first 2-month free trial with no charge.
- Card Members must cancel the automatic renewal before the due date of their first payment as well as subsequent monthly payments to avoid being charged.
- To redeem the 2-month free trial, US American Express Card Members must click through this webpage and complete the purchase journey within the obé fitness website.
- If you leave or close this webpage and return later, this offer may no longer be available.
- Purchases are subject to obé’s Terms and Conditions, available at: www.obefitness.com/terms-of-service. Please visit www.obefitness.com for contact information and/or any additional questions or concerns.
- Offers void where prohibited by law. Other restrictions may apply. Offers, prices, rules, and benefits subject to change without notice.
Previously T-Mobile users were offered a one month free trial, so I don’t think these are particularly rare. Although for cardholders you obviously get two months. Just remember to cancel as you are enrolled automatically and will be charged $27 per month if you forget to cancel. American Express is also offering a free year of ‘Calm’ sleep and meditation app. And earlier today brought back the shop small promotion.
- Update 11/2/20: Extended until November 30th.
Direct link to offer (open incognito)
- American Express is offering a sign up bonus of 75,000 points on the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Business Card after spending $3,000 within 3 months. You also get a $150 statement credit on eligible purchases made within the first three months
- Anniversary free night award up to 35,000 points (this is a free night certificated that can be used on properties costing up to 35,000 points)
- $125 annual fee (not waived first year)
- Card earns at the following rates:
- Six Marriott rewards points per dollar spent at participating hotels
- Four Marriott rewards points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- Two points per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Silver status; earn gold status by making $35,000 in purchases within a calendar year
- Receive 15 nights towards elite status
- Premium in room internet access at participating properties
- No foreign transaction fees
- Can only get the bonus once per lifetime
Last year we saw a 100,000 point offer and a $150 credit, but the credit required spend on U.S. Advertising in select media. This new offer is 25,000 less points but the $150 credit is much easier to earn as any purchases qualify. Because of this increased flexibility I will add this to our list of the best credit card bonuses.