If culture, comedy and vivid color appeal to you, then the north Texas neighborhood of Deep Ellum in Dallas is definitely your jam.
From the brightly-hued buildings and murals to the many live entertainment opportunities, Deep Ellum is a hub of all things entertainment and art-related. This thrum of energy has also helped to cultivate a close-knit community, unlike any other Dallas neighborhood.
Where is Deep Ellum in Dallas?
Located in East Dallas adjacent to Downtown, Deep Ellum’s name is a Texas drawl-style play on Elm Street, the area’s primary roadway. The neighborhood is mighty in cultural flavor, but small in size, and encompasses only one ZIP code — 75226. Check out this helpful map for a visual representation of Deep Ellum and where it fits into Dallas proper.
Although the Deep Ellum neighborhood in Dallas prides itself on its unparalleled arts and live entertainment scene, the neighborhood also includes other businesses, such as a range of eclectic shops, restaurants and employment opportunities. Chances are if you want something in a neighborhood, Deep Ellum has it. And then some.
- Studio average rent: $1,438
- One-bedroom average rent: $1,828
- Two-bedroom average rent: $2,562
- Walk score: 81.5, which qualifies as very walkable. Round of applause for Deep Ellum on this one!
- Bike score: 73, so the neighborhood, in general, is very bike-friendly.
- Transit score: 66, so there are good public transportation options in the area.
Living in Deep Ellum
Before choosing a neighborhood it’s important to know some basic, yet critical, details. Charm isn’t enough to live off of, right? Here are a few practical matters that any potential Deep Ellum resident needs to know.
In 2016, Deep Ellum’s population was 2,621. By the end of 2021, that number will increase by about 6.7 percent! In 2016 there were 1,343 households, and experts estimate that will increase by 7.8 percent by the end of 2021. The average household income in Deep Ellum is $53,659, with 6.5 percent of residents below the poverty line. The majority (71 percent) are white-collar workers.
Deep Ellum’s popularity as a party spot isn’t helping its crime rates. Mainly, robberies and assaults make up the main issues. The neighborhood patrol extended its hours to 6 a.m. in 2019 in an effort to combat this problem. Unfortunately, the neighborhood was also damaged in 2020 during riots.
Deep Ellum is part of the Dallas Independent School District (ISD). Local elementary and middle schools currently have average ratings by Niche.com.
Deep Ellum’s commute time is downright enviable by Dallas standards. The average commute is 23 minutes, likely thanks to its proximity to the big city.
The entertainment scene in Deep Ellum can’t be beaten. Stop by any number of pubs, music venues or dance clubs to get your groove on. Of those, Deep Ellum Art Co. hits the trifecta, with a bar, live music and art displays!
It’s easy to get around Deep Ellum on foot or bike, which is not something every Dallas neighborhood can boast about. The area’s transit score of 66 indicates that there are some good public transportation options in the area. Arguably the fastest and most convenient is the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) rail line, but buses are also available.
10 things to do in Deep Ellum
The toughest thing about living in Deep Ellum is choosing what to do from day-to-day. There are many sleepy towns in Texas. This Dallas neighborhood is not one of them.
- The Bomb Factory is the latest music venue to join the Deep Ellum directory and is already beloved thanks to its intimate, yet totally rocking, atmosphere.
- Hit up Sons of Hermann Hall for everything from acoustic guitar jam sessions to swing dance lessons.
- Take a self-guided tour of the 42 Murals project, Deep Ellum’s many vibrant and unique murals.
- Stop by Deep Ellum Brewing Company for a pint or two, and learn how to make your own brew while you’re there.
- Enjoy a cocktail while marveling over the skills on display at Louie Louie’s Piano Bar.
- Get your punk rock fix at the legendary venue Three Links.
- Nosh on authentic Mexican food at Vidorra Dallas.
- Embrace Texas in all its glory at Mama Tried, the local honky-tonk bar and eatery.
- Check the calendar for the Quixotic World Theatre House and Magikal Event Space to find offbeat events, such as burlesque shows.
- Stop by Latino Cultural Center to see and appreciate authentic exhibits and events designed to further the preservation of Latino and Hispanic arts and culture.
Finding an apartment in Deep Ellum
Now that you’re thoroughly sold on the awesomeness that is Deep Ellum, it’s time to go apartment shopping. Check out all of Rent’s available Deep Ellum Dallas apartments to find the perfect unit to start this truly unique neighborhood adventure.
Rent prices are based on a rolling weighted average from Apartment Guide and Rent.com’s multifamily rental property inventory of one-bedroom apartments in March 2021 and go back for one year. Our team uses a weighted average formula that more accurately represents price availability for each individual unit type and reduces the influence of seasonality on rent prices in specific markets.
The rent information included in this article is used for illustrative purposes only. The data contained herein do not constitute financial advice or a pricing guarantee for any apartment.