Table of Contents
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Mono county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Mono County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Mono County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Mono County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Mono County is $494,554. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $62,260, which is higher than the national average.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 7 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Mono County, there are many flood plains, especially along the rivers. Your agent can help you to check whether a property will require flood insurance.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- For questions about property tax, you can get in touch with the Mono County Assessor, Barry Beck. His office is reachable at 25 Bryant Street, 2nd Floor, Bridgeport CA 93517 and by calling (760) 932-5510.
- Veterans, owner-occupiers, and senior citizens may be eligible for property tax relief. You can find out whether you qualify through the county assessor. In addition, the Assessor’s Office can do re-appraisals to determine property values and flood risks.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 14,444 is 65% White, 26% Hispanic, and 3% Two or more races.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 17% under 18 years old and 16% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 4,847 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
There are no incorporated cities in Mono county, but Mammoth Lakes is a town with a population of over 8,000. The county seat, Bridgeport, has just under 600 residents. Other notable communities include Crowley Lake and Walker.
About Mono County
Located in the Eastern Sierra region, Mono County is known for its natural beauty. The county becomes a winter wonderland each year and is home to the famous Mammoth Mountain ski slopes. It also has some of the best fall foliage in the state. In spring and summer, residents can explore the 300 miles of trails that make up the Mammoth Lakes Trail System.
The county gets its name from Mono Lake, which has helped make the county a top tourist destination. It is one of the oldest in the Western Hemisphere and is known for its strange and beautiful limestone rock formations, known as Tufas.
In addition to its natural beauty, Mono County is also known for its excellent fishing. Fishing is such a big deal in the area where residents celebrate the fishing season’s opening, “Fishmas,” on April 25. There are also dozens of derbies and fishing events throughout the year where you can try your luck and catch the big one. Plus, there’s free fishing for everyone each Fourth of July.
Mono county is currently home to 673 veterans.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Mono County Veteran Services Office – 1290 Tavern Road, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
There are currently no VA-approved condos available in Mono County. However, it is still possible to get a condo through the approval process all you need to do is call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will help you through the condo approval process.