Table of Contents
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $822,375* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in San Benito County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in San Benito County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the San Benito County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in San Benito County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for San Benito County is $715,049. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $86,958.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 7 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- Due to its location, San Benito County has no significant flood hazard areas with the only potential flood areas being immediately around the Paicines Reservoir.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Tom J. Slavich is the San Benito County tax assessor. His office can be reached at 481 4th Street, Hollister, California 95023 and by calling (831) 636-4030.
- Veterans, owner-occupiers, and senior citizens may be eligible for property tax relief. You can find out whether you qualify through the county assessor. In addition, the Assessor’s Office can do re-appraisals to determine property values and flood risks.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 62,808 is 60% Hispanic, 32% White, and 3.9% Asian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 25.5% under 18 years old and 13.1% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 18,135 households, with an average of 3.3 people per household.
What are the major cities?
There are two cities in San Benito County, including Hollister, which serves as the county seat, and San Juan Bautista’s city.
About San Benito County
Beyond the beautiful scenery of San Benito County is an area where excitement and activity abound. As part of the San Jose Metropolitan area, residents are near all offered in the big cities of San Jose and San Francisco while simultaneously maintaining the quiet and calm more typically found in small-town America.
The closeness to the big cities provides easy access for veterans to veteran services. San Jose is home to a VA clinic and many smaller veteran support groups.
Additionally, given the multitude of gorgeous fauna and flora native to San Benito County, it should come as no surprise that Benitoite, rare blue titanium, was initially found in the area. The county is so lush in plant and floral life that the Benito, a genus of flowering plants, is named for the county. As the parable goes, where there are plants, there are bugs, exemplified by San Benito County, where a millipede with more legs than any other millipede species was discovered in 1926. This ecological display is prominently featured at the Pinnacles National Park, a federally protected area.
The county is currently home to 2,619 veterans.
- San Benito County is home to two VFW post:
- Post 9242 Hollister Post – 649 San Benito Street, Room 204, Hollister, California 95023.
- Post 6359 Leslie L. Garratt Post – 58 Monterey Street, San Juan Bautista, California 95045.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- San Benito County Veteran Service Office – 649 San Benito Street, Hollister, California 95023.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment, there are no VA-approved condos available in San Benito County. However, if you’re still interested in getting a condo through the approval process, call us at (877) 432-5626.
California VA Loan Information
VA Loan Information by State