Are you thinking about selling your engagement ring? People sell their engagement rings for all sorts of reasons, such as no longer being in a relationship or inheriting a ring. Whatever your reason may be, you can most likely sell your engagement ring and make extra money. You can use this extra money towards paying…
Are you thinking about selling your engagement ring?
People sell their engagement rings for all sorts of reasons, such as no longer being in a relationship or inheriting a ring.
Whatever your reason may be, you can most likely sell your engagement ring and make extra money.
You can use this extra money towards paying off debt (like credit card debt or student loans), starting an emergency fund for unexpected expenses (like medical bills, vet visits, or house repairs), putting the money into your retirement savings, or even saving for financial goals (like a home deposit, buying a car, or going back to school).
Today, you’ll learn how to:
- Get your engagement ring appraised
- Negotiate for the highest price
- Find the best place to sell your engagement ring
And, of course, the step-by-step process of how to sell an engagement ring!
How To Sell An Engagement Ring
How much is an engagement ring worth?
Before you sell your engagement ring, you should try and figure out how much it is worth.
One of the things to think about when valuing a diamond engagement ring is the “4 Cs of a Diamond.” If you want to know where to sell diamond rings, first you must figure this out.
The 4 Cs stand for:
- Carat – This is the size of the diamond. Larger diamonds are usually worth more money.
- Cut – This is not the diamond shape. Instead, this is the quality of the diamond’s cut which will impact how beautiful and brilliant the diamond is.
- Color – A diamond’s value increases with less color, as a completely colorless diamond is worth more.
- Clarity – Clarity is all about the imperfections and blemishes that a diamond may have. The fewer there are, the more valuable the diamond.
Other things that may increase or decrease the value of your used engagement ring include:
- Condition – The overall condition of the ring is important. A ring that has been taken care of and shows minimal signs of use will typically hold onto more of its value in comparison to a ring that displays noticeable wear and tear.
- Resale market – Rings with a popular style or from a well-known designer may see a higher price when resold.
- Certification and documentation – Having a document such as a diamond grading certificate can help determine the quality of the ring.
- Designer and brand name – Rings from certain designers or brands (such as Cartier or Tiffany & Co.) tend to have a higher resale value due to their reputation and craftsmanship.
Even though a pre-owned engagement ring may have a lower value compared to a new one, it can be a great value for buyers looking for a high-quality ring at a more budget-friendly price. And, that is why people buy them – they can save some money over a new ring.
Recommended reading: 8 Items To Sell Around Your Home For Extra Money
Gather documentation for your engagement ring
If you’ve decided to sell your engagement ring, it’s time to collect all of your paperwork related to the ring such as the diamond’s certification, receipts, and appraisals.
These documents will help figure out the ring’s value, establish its authenticity, and make the process of selling a little more smooth.
Here’s a list of the paperwork you might need:
- Appraisal certificate – The appraisal certificate is a professional evaluation of the engagement ring. This document includes details about the diamond’s cut, color, clarity, carat weight, and quality.
- Original receipt – Having the original receipt from the purchase of the engagement ring will help show that the ring is authentic.
- Diamond certification – If the diamond was graded and certified by a recognized gemological laboratory, this can be helpful.
- Gemstone certificates – If your engagement ring has other gemstones besides diamonds, include these certificates for the stones as well.
You don’t need any paperwork to sell an engagement ring, but, it can make things a little easier and may get you a little more money.
How to get an engagement ring appraised
Getting an engagement ring appraised by a certified gemologist or jewelry appraiser will give you an accurate estimate and valuation of how much your engagement or wedding ring is worth.
This can help you when negotiating (such as with a pawnshop) and simply knowing the amount that you should be looking for when selling your ring.
You can get your engagement ring appraised by:
- Looking for appraisers – You can search online for certified gemologists or jewelry appraisers in your area. You can also ask local jewelry stores for their recommended appraisers. It’s important to find an appraiser with credentials from places such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA), the American Gem Society (AGS), or the International Society of Appraisers (ISA).
- Contacting the appraiser – Call the appraiser and ask for their fees and to schedule an appointment. You may need to bring documents such as receipts, certificates, or previous appraisals for the ring.
- Getting the ring appraised – Take the engagement ring to the appraiser. They will examine the engagement ring’s characteristics including the diamond’s cut, color, clarity, and other important factors.
- Receiving the appraisal report – Once the appraisal is done, the appraiser will provide you with the report. This report includes information about the ring’s characteristics as well as an estimated value based on the current market. Ask the appraiser any questions you might have or if you need a question answered.
Where to sell an engagement ring
Now is the time to look at your different options for selling the ring. You can sell engagement rings at jewelry stores, pawn shops, online marketplaces, auction houses, consignment shops, and more.
Some things that you will want to about when deciding where to sell your engagement ring include the amount that they are giving you (of course, you want the most money, right?), the fees that they may be charging to sell your ring, how much work it will take you to sell it (for example, do you have to create the listing or do they?), whether you feel safe meeting someone to exchange the ring for cash in-person, and more.
As you can see, there are going to be pros and cons for each of the places where you can sell your jewelry.
Below, I go further into each of the best places to sell an engagement ring:
1. Sell your engagement ring online in a marketplace
If you want to sell your engagement ring, one of the best ways to get the most money for it is to sell it online.
Selling your engagement ring online can be convenient and also help you reach a wider audience of possible buyers.
Some of the different places you can sell an engagement ring online include eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you sell your engagement ring online:
- Make your ring presentable – You should clean your ring and take quality photos of it from different angles.
- Choose the marketplace – There are many different sites to sell your engagement ring like eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, specialized jewelry-selling websites, or online auction sites.
- Create a detailed listing – In the listing, write a detailed description of the ring along with its condition and any unique features. Be honest about any imperfections. When listing your ring for sale, you should also describe the ring, such as the diamond’s cut, color, clarity, and carat weight.
- Set a price – You should research similar engagement rings or get your ring appraised to find the most accurate price based on current market value.
- Shipping – If you’re shipping the ring, make sure to package it securely to prevent any damage in transit and also pay for shipping insurance.
2. Sell your engagement ring on Worthy
Similar to the above, some websites are dedicated to selling jewelry and valuables, such as Worthy.
Worthy does not buy your engagement ring directly as that is not their business model, but they will clean it up and sell it for you.
Worthy makes it really easy to make money with your engagement ring and this is the best place to sell engagement rings online. You simply ship your jewelry to their office with a prepaid shipping label (a FedEx label) that they give you (it’s insured as well). Then, once they get the ring, they prep it for auction. They will clean the ring, take professional photos of it, and grade it.
After that, your ring will go up for auction, and professional jewelry buyers can bid on it. You can set a reserve price that you are comfortable with. Once the auction is done, you will receive the final sale amount after Worthy’s fee. Payment is then sent to you within 1-5 days.
The whole process typically takes around 2 weeks from shipping to getting paid.
So, what are Worthy’s fees? They do almost all of the work for you, so it makes sense that they would charge a fee. They take 18% for up to $5,000. After that, it is a 14% fee for $5,001 to $15,000, a 12% fee for $15,001 to $30,000, and a 10% fee for over $30,000.
So, for example, I found a 1-carat diamond ring on Worthy that eventually sold for $2,792. That means the seller received around $2,289 after the 18% fee that Worthy charges.
3. Work with a jeweler
Jewelers may offer to buy your engagement ring. You can simply call around local jewelry stores near you and ask if they buy used engagement rings.
Sometimes this can be the most straightforward and convenient option for selling your engagement ring as you can possibly sell your ring the same day.
To sell your engagement ring to a jeweler, you will want to look for jewelry stores near you and give them a phone call to see if they buy used engagement rings. I recommend looking for ones with positive reviews.
If you have any documentation for your ring then make sure to bring it with you so that you can show the jeweler.
If they are interested in your engagement ring, then they will give you an offer. If you’re happy with the offer, then you can ask any other questions and possibly sign paperwork to get your cash.
Jewelers may offer instant payment either via cash, check, or electronic transfer and you will want to confirm the payment method before completing the sale.
4. Sell your engagement ring to a consignment shop
You may decide you want to sell your used engagement ring to a consignment shop. Consignment shops have benefits such as offering exposure to multiple buyers. However, they likely charge a commission fee.
To sell your engagement ring through a consignment shop, you will want to Google search for consignment shops in your area and specifically look for shops that sell jewelry or high-end items (make sure the shop has good reviews and even testimonials of previous successful sales of engagement rings).
Once you have an idea of which consignment shops you’re interested in selling your ring at, you should ask them questions about their consignment process, what commission rate they charge, and the terms of the sale.
Then, you’ll give the shop the ring to display in their store.
The consignment shop handles the transaction if someone is ready to buy the ring. You’ll receive payment after the commission fees are taken out.
5. Sell your wedding ring to a pawnshop
When people think about where to sell an engagement ring, one of the first places they think about is probably a pawn shop.
And, it makes sense – pawn shops make it very easy and you can sell your engagement ring for cash here. You can most likely even get paid on the same day!
But, you should keep in mind that they usually give you the lowest amount of money.
If you want to sell your old wedding ring to a pawn shop you will first want to make sure the ring looks nice and clean because that can help you get a better price. Get any papers you have about the ring, like appraisals or certificates, to show how much it’s worth, and make sure you know this number before you go in because you will most likely have to negotiate.
Now, when selling at a pawn shop, you can typically negotiate. To do so, you will want to find out the ring’s value, current market trends, and comparable sales. You can even make a better case for your price by showing documents on the ring and appraisals from certified gemologists. If the pawn shop cannot meet that price, you may just want to move on and try to find another buyer.
When the pawn shop makes an offer, remember they need to make a profit too, so it might be lower than you expect. If you’re not happy with the offer, you can try selling it to someone else. If you agree to sell it, you’ll need to show some ID, sign some papers, and then you’ll get paid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to common questions about how to sell an engagement ring.
Is it possible to sell an engagement ring?
Yes! Many places buy engagement rings and wedding rings so that you can make money.
How much can you get for selling your engagement ring?
The amount of money that you can get for selling your engagement ring will vary and usually, you can earn anywhere from around 20% to 60% of what was originally paid for it. Yes, this is a wide range (and can mean a difference of hundreds or even thousands of dollars) and this is because there are so many factors that come into the price, such as the condition of the ring, the market demand, and where you decide to sell it.
How much can I sell my 1 carat engagement ring for?
A 1-carat diamond engagement ring will vary due to the 4C’s (cut, clarity, color, and carat). Usually, you can earn around $1,000 to $5,000 for selling a used engagement ring that is 1 carat.
Is it better to sell or pawn an engagement ring?
This depends – do you want to get the ring back? If you decide to sell it, you can get cash right away. This is a good option if you need money quickly.
On the other hand, if you decide to pawn it, the ring can be used as collateral for a loan. This can be a temporary solution if you just need cash right now but you want to get the ring back later. However, it’s very, very important to carefully read and understand the terms and interest rates from the pawnshop so that you can eventually get your ring back.
Why is the resale value of diamonds so low?
So, you may be thinking “But, I paid $10,000 for this ring! Why am I only getting a few thousand dollars?”
You most likely won’t get the same price that the engagement ring was bought for. This is because places that buy your engagement ring still need to make a profit. Plus, they aren’t going to sell the engagement ring for the same price as a brand-new ring.
How can I be safe when selling a ring?
If you aren’t shipping the ring but are meeting in person instead, then you must be careful. You should avoid sharing personal information until you’re 100% sure they are the person they say they are.
I also highly recommend meeting in a public place, such as a police station parking lot. Bringing a family member or friend with you to the appointment or meeting is good so that you aren’t alone. Make sure to use secure payment methods like cash and do not share bank account information, your social security number, or any other sensitive information (buyers do not need this information!!). Also, ignore requests to send the ring before receiving payment and make sure the payment has cleared before proceeding.
Where to sell my wedding ring after a divorce? Is it OK to sell a wedding ring after divorce?
Many people sell their wedding rings after a divorce. If you decide to do so, you can sell your wedding ring on sites like Worthy, Facebook, eBay, and more. Before you sell your engagement ring, though, you should make sure that the ring is legally yours (check your divorce agreement).
How long does it take to sell an engagement ring?
The amount of time that it takes you to sell an engagement ring depends on where you are selling it. For example, selling a ring on Worthy will take around 2 weeks (it takes a little longer to sell on Worthy, but you may get the best price for your diamond jewelry this way because they have many diamond buyers). Whereas, selling it to a pawn shop may mean that you get paid the same day (however, it’s typically for a lot less money).
What is the best way to sell an engagement ring?
The best way to sell your engagement ring depends on what you’re looking for and there is no one best answer for everyone. Do you want to sell your ring for the most money? Or, do you want to sell your engagement ring as fast as you can? Some people may want to just sell the ring to a pawn shop and get it over with. Others may want to take their time and sell it online so that they can get the most money.
How To Sell An Engagement Ring For The Most Money
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to sell your engagement ring for the most money.
Deciding to sell an engagement ring is a big decision to make as you may have an emotional connection to it. Due to this, you should take your time deciding what to do and choose the option that feels best for your situation.
Some of the best places to sell diamond rings include online (such as through Worthy or eBay), or in-person at a consignment shop or to a local jeweler. Many of the places above can be used for selling other pieces of jewelry as well, such as fine jewelry, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and more.
Each place has its pros and cons. Some will pay you a lot more than others, but some may be much easier and quicker.
I hope you can find the best place to sell your engagement ring and that you get the most money!
Have you tried selling an engagement ring? What do you think is the best place to sell an engagement ring?